Blog #7
Blog #7

Blog #7

Part 1:

Link 1: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/68563/68563-h/68563-h.htm

(alt): https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/7e8fb480-47d1-0135-616f-034da059223d/book?page_start=right#page/25/mode/2up

1. The specific pages/content that I hope to create around this source are I will be using the alt link that has direct photos of the book included, which will be easier to save to my computer and upload for the digitized assignment.

I will be using pages:

9-10 / 13-14 / 30-31 / 49-50 / 53-54

• The story I am aiming to tell through the images/text that I am editing is that of Subverted Racial Stereotypes that were prevalent during 1947.
  • My target audience is Young Children. I want them to learn about the educational portrayal of comradery among different races, which was written/illustrated during one of the country’s normalized racist eras.
  • “The Little Gidding harmonies” feels most aligned to my work because it focused on each section of its subject directly, instead of sharing all the information on one page.
  • The elements of Scalar that seem most appropriate for my project are annotations, table of contents, and tags.

Part 2:

• The materials that are included in these websites are pieces of text that explain the topic at hand, like the “Colored Conventions” for example. Though this site does lack pictures and annotations for a good portion of the website. We can access different subjects within the main topic by clicking on different thumbnail pictures or textboxes that say “Explore.” As for the other website “Archaeology of Reading,” the main material included are primary texts with a foreign language and bits of translated notes on the sidebar. We can access individual documents by picking a chosen topic from the main page.
  • We can’t really interact with the “Colored Conventions” since there is only really one picture under one of the pages, and even then, there isn’t much to do with it. However, with “Archaeology of Reading” we can interact with it by clicking through different pages of the chosen document.
  • Some benefits of having these websites are providing useful information for readers who want to learn specific points that may offer primary sources that they can interact with and use to personally engage with the history presented. The downside comes from websites like “Colored Conventions” because it lacks documents or pictures for the reader to have alongside the bits of text they do provide.
  • Yes, there is one thing I wanted to do with the content but couldn’t figure out how to do. For the “Archaeology of Reading” website I wanted to click on one of the primary documents and find a translation of the words on the side of the page along with the annotations already present on the screen. I appreciate the annotations, but I think an attached translation would have been helpful to allow me to fully engage with the piece.  

1. Hi Allison,

I am very excited to see your work on “Subverted Racial Stereotypes that were prevalent during 1947” and “the educational portrayal of comradery among different races, which was written/illustrated during one of the country’s normalized racist eras.” This eerily gives me Jim Crow vibes because in an attempt to not been seen as racist, America tried to give the “same” amenities to Black people as they already do to White people, such as public bathrooms. The problem was that these “same” amenities were clearly of lower quality, but America tried to normalize these amenities in a way where Black people were forced to either embrace these benefits that otherwise wouldn’t exist without America’s “benevolence”, or simply get rid of all of these benefits altogether.

2. Hey Allison,

I think topic for your project is both extremely interesting and extremely important. I can’t wait to see the final product! Your primary source relates well to your topic and it looks like it reinforces your argument well. Good luck!

I actually thought the CCP site was more interactive than the AOR site. The AOR site seems to basically be just scans of rare books with annotations and/or translations in a few places. I thought the CCP site had a lot of contextual information (maybe too much) to accompany the main content. There were also some interactive maps that I liked as well.