Evolution of the Press
Evolution of the Press

Evolution of the Press

Writing has a vast variety of changes when diving into the history of understanding books and writing. Many will argue that the dawn of writing had a significant impact when the typewriter and printing press was introduced or when media became more expendable. The evolution of the press is unique and special in many ways because there are stories that were meant to be told but had no form of getting it across. Over time humanity has had this idea of wanting to move at a pace where technology and writing can be futuristic. From the late 19th century but before then the 15th century and onwards this change develop quickly into a desire to see how far we can push the limits of writing and books. How much information can we store before there is no more space to do so?

The design of the press in itself made many people like me wonder if our form of thinking was ahead of its time. Much old writing dating back to the 18th- even 16th-century pre-date that writing is a doom catalyst. As writing begins to change the world. Vocabulary has increased and the use of language becomes more heinous in plain sight. Opinions become trigger warnings, trigger warnings lead to, the sensitivity of attacking one own value of speech and personification. The invention of the typeset was one of the writing tools that change how books, writing, and publication change the value of what it means to write. It made it easier of course for information to spread and allowed the more significant expansion of creativity but, don’t you think we were ahead of ourselves? I respect Gutenberg for creating such a creative device. But there is a downfall.

The Press twists our form writing, in my opinion, to show everyone our true colors when we want to get our point across without voicing it. A verbal writing style makes viewers feel comfortable because how people can take for granted what is truly in a person’s character when speaking. But non-verbal writing can give people the strength to voice their opinion without having an audience in front of them. But language can often be flipped upon because of how someone went about what that person may have said or written. For example, the publication of the Bible in many churches often tends to use different iterations because other versions sound non-truthful. Everyone has their own story to tell of the Bible which is the reason why the Bible is still one of the most bought books around the world and for many reasons as well.

But many hate whoever preaches it wrong. Everyone fights or debates to tell their side of a story, but it’s this selfishness and greed that makes us blind to a degree of how the printing-press changes the course of speech, culture, and our way of life. It’s easy to summarize the positivity of the Press but we deny that the Press has also landed us in hot water. Wars, Government Breakdown, Coup D’etat, Poverty, Outbreaks, etc. Even in today’s time we still believe what we hear or read may be true but everything around us has its own opinion. But today time is a lot more different because sensitivity plays an important role in how to use Free of Speech in American culture. This is why I believe writing in today’s time is dangerous.

1. Hey Kehinde,

All in all great descriptive response what resonated with me the most is when you stated “ there are stories that were meant to be told but had no form of getting it across. ” This reminds me of my own work that I dream to get go there and the works of others that I adore today that would’ve never gotten to me of it wasn’t the start of this significant invention. This was the start of something new.

2. Hi Kehinde,

I actually agree with your opinion about how the printing press has accelerated our society way too fast to the point where it backfired us in some cases. I think one factor that led us into a now tense social and political climate (especially on the Internet) is played in part by the printing press because due to how fast and accurate it was, the press has made us complacent in terms of wanting something quickly, widely available, and it needs to be simple so that anyone can digest the information. This leads to misinformation/disinformation and harmful messages being easily spread around the media.

3. Hi,
    First, I agree with you that writing has evolved into a means of expressing ourselves and sharing our stories with others. It has also enabled us to experiment with new ideas and push the boundaries of what is possible and what we can achieve. For example, the press’s design is incredibly futuristic and appears on a road that could lead to much more spectacular things. This leads me to assume that we are at the forefront of something fresh and exciting. Writing history would be incomplete without mentioning Gutenberg. He contributed to developing a creative gadget that facilitated information sharing and allowed for the extension of creativity. However, there is a disadvantage to how the press twists our form of writing: it may be exploited to depict our underlying colors without our having to express our opinion. Conversational writing styles help viewers feel more at ease because they can assume what is in an individual’s personality.